Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Entry Year Teaching Seminars

The state of Ohio mandates that all entry year teachers participate in an entry year teaching seminar that takes place over a series of months. The seminars are helpful to find new information and to share what you've learned already. I learned about several different ways to help my students acquire new vocabulary skills through these seminars. They are helpful even though you have to be out of your classroom. It is nice to hear what others are doing and share what you are doing too.

I know this will continue over the years but I wonder if it is really necessary during the first year. This year, I had to worry about a portfolio for the seminars, going to the seminars, doing other professional development activities and my Praxis 3 assessment. It's a little overwhelming and really almost too much to take in. My suggestion would be to spread it out over 2 years. The first year the teacher has so much to learn and keep up with. The main focus should be on the teaching process by itself. The professional development comes with that through the year and it is helpful and useful. Preparing for the Praxis 3 should be a stepped process for the teacher. The assessor should be able to see the teacher in the classroom more than just once.

I know because the day of my assessment my computer crashed and ruined my plans for the day. I improvised and kept going of course but I felt like I was behind the 8 ball the whole time. Nothing can predict a computer crash but if I'd had multiple times being observed the assessor might have gotten a better look at just what I am capable of doing. I passed my Praxis 3 and that is all that really counts but if teachers are going to be held so highly accountable we need to know what we are doing is going to count towards that accountability.

I hope this makes some sense. I'm not dissing the system. I'm just not sure it's 100% the best for the new teachers. I would have benefited more from having a 3 year provisional license (no one is guaranteed employment their first year out of college some of us had to sub a year before we got a job so having a 3 yr. helps that.) The first year should be spent being observed at least 3 times by our Praxis 3 assessor and doing the professional development the school wants you to do. The second year, is a great time for reflection on what you did the first year and what you woudn't ever do again (there will be these things I promise!). It would help a lot more I think. A two year program would take a lot of pressure off.

I feel like I survived this year. I made it and I will keep moving forward. I learned a whole lot for sure!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment